Friday, September 25, 2015

Thinking deep..

Not sure since when I've developed passion over respiratory system. Perhaps it was because of my previous patient, 44 years old man having Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) for more than 15 years that gave me a really huge impact on my perception regarding respiratory disease.
He is merely 44 years old but he definitely looks much older than this, perhaps 58? Yes, and it was because of the progressive worsening of the disease. He couldn't really talk, once he tried to talk, he can get breathless after uttering few words. He is really really really thin and bonny, in medical term we called it as cachexic. Getting to know about his condition, I start to comprehend how COPD can have devastating effects on one's well being.
At this point of his life, family and social support are really important but I don't really know if he has family to take care of him or not. I only spent my one whole day with him..

This morning I had a lecture about asthma and COPD. Then only I realise there are so many people out there died of asthma before they could actually seek for help. They didn't realise the asthma attack can be fatal. I really had goosebumps when I was listening throughout the lecture. Life is a lot more fragile than we think.

After that lecture, deep down in my heart, I tell myself I want to help the people out there who are suffering and have no control of their lives, no matter how small is the contribution I can make.

No comments:

Post a Comment